Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Gift

When I was younger I didn't get a chance to spend my birthday in school because I was born in April and that's usually the start of summer vacation. Most of the time, my classmates forget to greet me even if I'm named after my birth month. I always have wondered how it would be like to spend it in class with my friends. Would I get more greetings or more gifts if my birthday falls on a school day? Would I feel more special?

Now that I'm working, I get to spend my birthday... working ha ha!

This year, I got a wonderful surprise from my colleagues. I arrived around 8:45 am and found this mess on my desk...

All the post-its contained hand written messages from people all over my universe- relatives and friends. It was as if I was hearing them talking to me while I was reading each message one at a time. In fact, I needed time to stop in between to hold my tears from falling. In my mind these messages was already enough to make me feel really special that day. But the surprise was not yet over until I opened that nicely wrapped box with red ribbon.

The box was filled with several items covered with confetti. I was like a kid going through an exciting treasure hunt. It had a very nice notebook, because they know I like writing and scribbling; a cook book for healthy eating, because they know that I'm into healthy lifestyle now; a set of metallic pastel because they know I like to draw and paint; and some things for my "kaartehan" like eye-liner, facial mask and nail polish. I was amazed on how each item was well-thought of. I felt that they were really paying attention to what I really want and what I would really appreciate. And that was the greatest feeling of all!

Giving gifts need not be expensive, you just have to pay attention to the little things. Spend time to get to know the people you love and give them gifts that will last a lifetime. A beautiful memory. A moment of love. 


  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment