Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Inside the mind of a psyCEO


When youhear someone being called a psycho, what comes to mind? That person is crazy or out of his/her mind, adeviant person? Yes, usually the connotation is derogatory in nature. But isbeing different always a negative thing?

About 2weeks ago, I have co-facilitated a Management Workshop for a big localpublishing company. I got so inspired by the CEO’s message, in fact I’ve writtendown some points which I think are worth-remembering. But the real message Igot behind what was being said during her whole opening speech was this- shewas clear about what she wants to achieve. She said “When I started thisbusiness, I wanted to help people, others wanted to help people one at a timebut I’ve always believed I am different and that wanted to help more people so,I chose media as my platform. Back then, I just wanted a small office somewherein the city but now we’ll be having a whole floor and who knows maybe soonwe’ll have a building but that’s just it, I do not aspire to become Henry Sy oranything like building malls. I know my limit.”

Anotheramazing CEO who got big in 2010 was Edgar Sia II; he was only 20 years old whenhe had his first taste of running a business after dropping out from college ofarchitecture. He said “My mind was always somewhere else”. He handled businessesof small hotel, laundry mat and printing press and soon after a food stall in aparking lot imposed such a tempting opportunity. Then, Mang Inasal (Mr.Barbecue) was born he said “I wanted to define a different category to fastfood industry by creating one that is not of American influence”. 8 years later,he sold 70% of it to a bigger and older Filipino fast-food empire, JollibeeFoods Corporation (JFC).

The ownerof Jollibee had a similar story. About 30 years ago he saw an opportunity toown a business and started as a franchisee of Magnolia Ice Cream Parlor. Andwhen Mc Donald’s came into the picture in 1982, some friends were telling themto get a franchise too. But truth be told, he refused because he wanted somethingelse. If you listen to the lyrics of their company hymn, you’ll know exactlywhat he wanted as the lyrics go “We will make the whole world say, the best isJollibee.” From a small ice cream parlorto a global fast food chain, JFC has truly gone a long way.

With allthese stories of success, one important lesson to be learned is that sometimes it’sjust okay to be called a “psycho”- to be different. Who knows you might be the next psyCEOgenius!

Believethat you have the capacity to be anything you want. And never ever be afraid tobe who you really are, no matter what others say you should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment