Saturday, July 2, 2011

JEEP

It is dubbed as the king of Philippine's major thoroughfares; the most accessible & widely-used mode of transportation. This piece of colorful and unique machinery has graced the pages of several travel books and magazines all over the world. It has gone beyond just a public transport system but an icon of culture, which brings a truly unique Philippine experience!

Every time I see one, I'm always reminded of a particular incident happened to me in the past. [insert melodramatic music here] It was 6:45 a.m. at the Central station of LRT. I was running late for my 7 am final exam on Microbiology. So I rushed towards the street where the jeeps were waiting. As soon as I sat down in an empty jeep, the driver immediately blazed through Lawton to Espana. Usually drivers wait for more passengers before going. But this time it was different.

True enough we made it just right on time. To show my appreciation to the driver, I intended to pay him more than the usual. But instead of accepting my payment, he insisted to give my change back. Since I was in a hurry I didn't bother to count them. Only to realize later in the afternoon that he even gave me student's discount.

For sure not all jeepney drivers would do the same but I was fortunate enough to have met at least one. This experience taught me that there are still a lot of people around us willing to help without expecting anything in return.

From merely an icon of culture made of metal to an icon of goodness made of people with a heart. That's how I feel whenever I see a jeep today. I know somehow, somewhere there are few more good people around waiting for that one opportunity to show it.

So tell me, when was the last time you helped someone in need?

No comments:

Post a Comment