Friday, July 29, 2011

Of Emeralds and Rubies

Some years ago there was this game called "bejeweled" I'm not sure if you guys remember this game where you just have to match as many jewels of the same color together to earn points. It was an addicting game and I admit I have been bejeweled, like most of my classmates were, back in med school. Whenever we'd have to wait for our next class we would open our laptops and play as if it was a tournament.

One time inside the student council office, one of my co-officer was playing and I, on the other hand was sitting beside her supposedly writing my patient-doctor report. But of course, I couldn't help myself glance at her game and what's worst? I couldn't help myself giving her instructions as to where she could make a move. Good thing she's not the type who would get pissed or annoyed easily even if I was ruining her game. 

After she finished, one great idea popped out of my cerebellum and I told her with conviction- "You know this game is pretty much like our life, we face problems/obstacles and sometimes all we have to do is to take one step back to see the solution or have a good friend beside you to help you through." Then she told me with amusement "How in this world can you think of that when we're just playing a simple game? Where did that come from?" At that point, there was a 3-second moment of silence then a burst of laughter filled the small office which lasted for more than 60 seconds.

On my way home, I continued to contemplate on that very ordinary experience. If you think about it deeply, somehow it speaks of truth. Truth that in life there are several paths to problem solving.
  1. Timing- some are resolved right away and some just needs more time
  2. Perspective- sometimes we can easily see the solution with our own eyes but some needs another person's point of view
  3. Last but not the least, when it's game over, we can always start anew
So don't despair when obstacles come your way. Life is like a game thus, we must ENJOY IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment