Friday, July 22, 2011

Switch

I am a self-proclaimed light switch destroyer!

The light switch inside my bedroom got busted a few months ago and I didn’t have time to fix it until last weekend. I tried to fix it a couple of times before but ended up with nothing because first, I don’t know how and second, I broke the newly-bought switch for replacement into pieces (not just once but yeah, twice) which I think is a bigger problem than not knowing how.

So there, I gave up fixing it. I didn’t notice the days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months without the main bedroom light. I just used the light in the bathroom to illuminate my path whenever I enter my room to sleep. I got used to it. In fact, I got used to it oh-so-much that 2 days after finally fixing the main light I still switch on the bathroom lights first!

The conclusion: Habits are formed and are difficult to break right away. Habits whether good or bad are stored in your procedural memory. Thus, it becomes automatic and needs no self-analysis of whatever sort. That is the danger of it. We sometimes don't notice our bad habits. If you have a bad habit, identify them today and make changes to form new and better ones.

Here's how in 2 easy steps:

The first step lies in the acknowledgment of the behavior. On the 3rd day, I was successful not to turn on the bathroom lights first because I knew and acknowledged the previous behavior. There was an effort to change what I usually do. However, the day after that... yes you guessed it right! I did it again! I ended up laughing out loud and realized the force of habit is really powerful. So I therefore conclude that I need more effort.

The final step is simple persistence and commitment. They say it takes about 21 days to form a habit. Only 21 days to change a certain behavior. So I commit to 21 days to change my habit. This story is quite simple but true. And I believe a lot of you have experienced this as well. There are a lot of things we do everyday that we wish we stop doing. Just like when you think you had stopped procrastination, overspending, nail biting, fidgeting and other mannerisms you developed over the years you sometimes catch yourself still doing it and feel guilty about it.

Why not start your 21 days of developing a new good habit today? Do it for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment